The Forgotten Minority

Minority rights...

LGBT rights, Women's rights, African-American rights, 99%, Religious rights, etc...

Did I miss any? I bet I did. And here's why: When you create groups and assume that those groups have rights you are bound to miss somebody. What happens to the person who isn't part of any of those groups? They get left out of some right that the groups claim they have.

That is why it is important to realize that each and every individual has the same rights as each and every other individual. No exceptions. I don't care what group you belong to, you only have the rights that all individuals have. That is where equality comes from.

"Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand


That statement by Ayn Rand is so very true and so very important, because so very often are individuals forgotten when minorities are concerned. Advocating "minority rights" can infringe on the rights of the smallest minority, the individual, when people aren't careful. And people are very seldom careful when it comes to getting what they want.

Quite often, politicians play on this very weakness to infringe on the rights of each and every individual. And it usually goes unnoticed by most, because it is done in the name of "minority rights".

One very recent example is Barack Obama "coming out" in support of gay marriage.
Oh! Was this good for his campaign or what?
Obama said he supports gay marriage, and the LBGT community along with many who support "LBGT rights" flocked to his campaign.

But how does this infringe on the rights of the smallest minority? A couple of ways.

As far as I am concerned, the government has no say in my marriage. My marriage is a voluntary (I love that word) agreement between my wife and I, as individuals. If they made it illegal for me to be married to my wife tomorrow I would still consider myself married to my wife. So who cares what they say? I would much rather the LGBT community give the government the finger when it comes to marriage, insisting it is a right they already had. But instead, they are empowering the government, and helping to encourage government regulation of every individual's marriage.

Not all, but a huge majority of the LGBT community and its friends now support Obama and each and every one of his policies, no matter how damaging they are to individuals.

Ask any Obama or Romney supporter, you tend to find they lean towards ignorance of any policies that don't affect a group they belong to, or ignorance of how damaging those policies can be. This is beyond dangerous.

The real question is: "Why do people think that government can pick and choose what rights we have and/or what group gets them or doesn't?" And that is not a question I am seeing asked much, especially by those who are part of a recognized minority group, or supporters of "minority rights". I think that's a real shame.

That's the way I see it.

Comments