I Just Wanted to Buy Beer.


I consider myself a beer connoisseur. Some would even say I'm a beer snob.

I went to the liquor store today to buy beer and they were closed. So I went to the other liquor store to buy beer and they were closed too. I finally went to the gas station where I know they sell beer and asked the lady there...

"Can you sell me beer?"
"Not until <looks at the clock>... well, right now actually."
"Wait, so if I walked in here 5 minutes ago you couldn't sell it to me?"
"Right. It's stupid, I know. But it's the law."
"Is that why the liquor stores are all closed?"
"Right. They're not allowed to open today."
I'd love to take your money in a voluntary, mutually beneficial
transaction that doesn't harm anyone, but I can't.
I found out that there is a similar law that says liquor stores cannot sell beer that is below 6.7% abv. For that, I have to go to grocery stores or gas stations. And grocery stores and gas stations are not allowed to sell beer that is over 6.7% abv. The result? Any beer worth a damn that is below that 6.7% abv is absolutely unobtainable here, since grocery stores and gas stations carry Budweiser or Miller products almost exclusively.
I miss you so much!
What the hell is going on here? If you've read my blog before you already know (or suspect) that I do not think we need laws at all. But with most laws there is, at least, some poor misguided claim that it somehow protects the rights of one person or another. What right is supposedly protected by this law? None.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. You would be hard pressed to find anyone at all who feels as if this law is a good one. If so many people disagree with this law, why do people let it slide? You can find hundreds of similar laws just like this. Some "law maker" decides that something should be forbidden, or mandated, and even though almost nobody agrees, most people still comply with the "law".

This isn't just about beer, either. Government interference ruins more stuff than most of us could imagine. They have their noses in everything, and they're making it worse at every turn. And they're using your money to fund it. We would be driving better cars, taking better showers, eating better food, and drinking better beer, and all of it for a lower cost then we do now.
But what could I do? I have no choice.
Get rid of government, and you get rid of government interference in the marketplace. Do that, and find out how easy it is to find the beer you want.

That's the way I see it.

Comments

  1. Where I live the state actually controls all liquor sales. Which means not only do they get to choose when they're open but they get to set all the prices. They even make it more expensive for the bar's and restaurants to purchase liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in Ohio and NC and in both states, it's illegal to sell Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - because the abv is too high... these laws suck!!! I had to get a friend in NYC to buy up all she could find and i brought it back to NC with me when i visited her. So, i got around it, but at great expense! lol.

    Anyway, great blog, keep writing!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment